A top-quality gooseneck trailer is a superb investment for your hotshot trucking business.
In fact, it’s arguably the second most important purchase you will ever make after your truck. But with so many brands and models, how do you decide which one to get? We’ve reviewed dozens of trailers on the market today so that you don’t have to do the laborious research yourself. We know how busy you are. We also know how important it is for you to get your money’s worth — rather than regretting your purchase somewhere down the road.
Here are the top seven gooseneck trailers you can buy in 2019:
7. KAUFMAN DELUXE 30 FT. TRI-AXLE GOOSENECK
This is a heavy-duty gooseneck. The frame consists of a 12-inch I-Beam on the mainframe and neck. There is 3-inch channel stacked cross members on 16-inch centers and 6-inch outer rails.
Instead of the tandem dual axle design, this gooseneck trailer has three 7,000-pound E-Z Lube Axles from Dexter Axles, making it tougher and stronger.
- 25,000 GVWR. This allows the trailer to carry much heavier loads.
- The wiring one the Kaufman Deluxe is a sealed modular wiring harness with lifetime LED lights. This ensures your trailer is well-lit and protected from the harsh elements.
- Automotive grade enamel finish. It’s not as good or as long-lasting as powder coat.
- No steps. This makes it difficult for you to climb up the trailer.
- 5-foot Dovetail
- All-Wheel Electric Brakes
- GVWR: 25,000 pounds
- Lockable Toolbox
- Slipper Spring Suspension
EDITOR’S RATING: 7.5 / 10
Click here to purchase this Kaufman trailer.
6. LOAD TRAIL GH30 – GOOSENECK HEAVY DUTY
This gooseneck trailer is top-of-the-line — one of the best from Load Trail. It has a GVWR of 30,000 and a 12″ I-Beam (22 lbs/ft), making it very tough and sturdy. It also comes with two 10K drop leg spring jacks. These keep the trailer more stable during loading and unloading. This gooseneck trailer is already DOT-compliant for its stop, tail, turn, and clearance LED lights.
- 8′ slide-in ramps for easy movement of heavy objects into the trailer
- It has a high GVWR — allowing you a greater load capacity
- It has radial tires to help minimize bumps
- Treated wood floor with excellent traction to keep loads from slipping
- Available only on dealerships where they typically sell at a high markup
- No powder coat finish
- Dexter axles — these are known to be more durable than other brands
- D-rings to secure cargo from falling or slipping out of place
- Multi-leaf spring suspension to make the trailer stable and durable
- It has side and front tool boxes for extra storage space
- Side steps for easy boarding
EDITOR’S RATING: 8.0 / 10
Click here to purchase this Load Trail trailer.
5. TEXAS PRIDE 35+5 DECKOVER GOOSENECK
With a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 24,000 pounds, this trailer can haul even the heaviest of loads — its net payload capacity is 18,100 pounds. This 5,900-pound trailer comes equipped with slipper spring suspension to help ensure a smoother ride, as well as safety features like DOT lighting, emergency breakaway switch, reflective tape, and safety chains.
- It has a relatively high GVWR, allowing you to carry heavier loads.
- It has DOT-approved LED lights, giving you peace of mind as you haul and tow.
- The slipper spring suspension helps to make your trips a little smoother.
- Automotive-grade acrylic enamel finish — doesn’t last as long as powder-coating.
- Dealer Markups. You have to buy from dealers who typically charge at big markups.
- 12-inch I-Beam on the mainframe, neck, and gooseneck risers
- 5-foot spring-assisted mammoth ramps
- 5-foot self-cleaning dovetail
- Adjustable coupler
- Triple 8,000-pound axles
EDITOR’S RATING: 8.2 / 10
Click here to purchase this Texas Pride trailer.
4. TOP HAT TRAILERS HEAVY HAULER GOOSENECK
This is a durable and well-built trailer. On a 16’-20’, the frame is 5 x 3 x ¼. On a 22’-24’, the frame is 6 x 4 x 5/16. The top rail is a 3” square tube. The floor is 2” of treated pine.
It also has a lot of good features. It has DOT reflective tape and sealed flush mount LED lights in rear tailboard. Its axles are Dexter cambered E-Z Lube. Dexter axles are known to be well-crafted so it should serve you for a long time. This trailer’s GAWR is 7,000 lbs.
Regarding the exterior, Top Hat Trailers are painted with Valspar paint. They have standard red, black, storm gray pearl metallic, indigo blue metallic, or Arizona beige pearl. Of course, there are other (optional) colors, but they do cost extra.
- Dexter axles. These are well-crafted and designed to last.
- DOT-approved reflective tape, which is legal across the United States and Canada.
- Flush mounted LED lights in the rear tailboard, making your trailer well-lit.
- Dealer markups. You have to buy this trailer from a dealership.
- Low GVWR — only 14,000 lbs. You can’t load too much on this trailer.
- No torque tube. (A torque tube prevents frame fatigue or frame flex.)
- Frame: 5 x 3 x ¼ on 16’-20’ and 6 x 4 x 5/16 on 22’-24’
- GVWR: 14,000 pounds
- Two Dexter cambered E-Z lube axles
- Valspar paint and topcoat
EDITOR’S RATING: 8.5 / 10
Click here to purchase this Top Hat trailer.
3. PJ TRAILERS LOW-PRO FLATDECK WITH DUALS
This PJ trailer has a number of great features, making it one of the best goosenecks for 2019. First, it has a high GVWR (25,000 lbs.) which allows you to haul heavier loads. Second, it has a five-leaf spring suspension and radial tires, giving you a smoother ride. Third, it uses Dexter brand oil bath axles — one of the best in the industry and designed for heavy-duty use.
- DOT-approved LED lights and reflective tape for improved visibility
- Double jacks that help stabilize the trailer
- Powder coat finish — lasts longer than regular paint
- Steps on both sides for easy boarding and offboarding
- Torque tube is optional. Needful to make the trailer stable with less flexing and swaying.
- Available only from dealerships — they oftentimes charge a big markup
- 5 leaf slipper spring suspension which helps keep the trailer stable
- 8′ ramps for convenient loading and unloading
- Electric breakaway kit for safety
- Lockable front toolbox for storage
- Rub rail and stake pockets to help secure cargo
EDITOR’S RATING: 8.7 / 10
Click here to purchase this PJ trailer.
2. BIG TEX 22GN HD TANDEM DUAL-AXLE GOOSENECK
The steel on this high-quality trailer is cleaned to ensure a professional smooth finish. There is also a quality finish applied for a highly decorative and protective finish.
This gooseneck trailer also has a treated floor with wood from a pine or douglas fir. The floor is 2″. The side rails are 6″ channel with rub rail, tie down pockets on 24″ centers, and chain spools. This is to ensure your load can be hauled safely.
- DOT-approved lights, approved across the US and Canada.
- Equipped with a spare tire. If you do get a flat tire, you can get back on the road ASAP.
- Torque tube on 28’ or longer. This helps prevent frame flex ad frame fatigue.
- Dealer markups. You have to buy it from a dealer, who will mark up the price.
- No big ramps. When a trailer has big ramps, it makes it easier to load the trailer.
- No safety steps. The steps on the trailer make it quite difficult to climb onto their trailer.
- 12″ I-beam
- GVWR: 23,900 lbs.
- Quality finish is applied for a highly decorative and protective finish.
- Two 10K dual-wheel with electric brakes (oil bath) axles
EDITOR’S RATING: 9.2 / 10
Click here to purchase this Big Tex trailer.
1. GATORMADE 35 + 5 AIR RIDE GOOSENECK TRAILER
This gooseneck trailer is equipped with air ride suspension, so it handles fragile loads better than other types of suspension. You simply adjust the suspension to whatever load you are hauling. It’s also great at towing and offers a smooth ride overall. Its other advantages are fuel economy, versatility in tackling different types of terrain, and less wear and tear.
The Gatormade Air Ride also has a spread-axle design, allowing more flexibility with loading since it can carry more weight. Not only that, its main frame is a 14” I-beam, which is designed to withstand heavy use.
It also has 12K disc brakes and axles from Dexter. These are very dependable. While the 17.5-inch cross-ply tires are an upgrade, they’ll last longer than the standard 16-inch cross-ply tires. The 17.5-inch are commercial grade so you won’t have to replace them as often.
This trailer also comes with other extra features with your safety and comfort in mind. It has two safety steps and big handles for going up and down the board. It also has a DOT-approved light package and a safety breakaway system that are legal in the US and Canada.
- 12K disc brakes. They are dependable and typically last longer than ordinary brakes.
- 40’ overall bed length allows you to haul long loads
- 6″ torque tube reduces flexing and swaying
- DOT-approved light and marking package. These are legal in all the US and Canada.
- Factory direct sales. No dealer markups. You get the trailer at a wholesale price.
- LED lights — last longer than conventional lights
- Powder coat finish — more durable than regular paint
- Premium heavy duty Dexter axles
- Spread-axle design — more stable on the road and can handle bumps better
- One factory location. You may have to drive a long distance to the factory or an outlet.
- If you need servicing, you can only do it at the Gatormade factory.
- 14-inch I-beam main frame construction
- 6-inch torque tube
- Aerodynamic open headboard for load protection
- DOT-approved light package and safety breakaway kit (legal in US and Canada)
- Durable powder coating
- Mud flaps
- Pre-formed wire harness
- Winch plate
- Work light bar on top of the neck
- You can choose your GVWR and downrate if need be
EDITOR’S RATING: 9.5 / 10
When it comes to quality, this is the best gooseneck trailer for hotshot.
EDITOR’S PICK: GATORMADE 35 + 5 AIR RIDE GOOSENECK TRAILER
All the goosenecks we featured in this review come with a wide range of features to suit your needs. However, the Gatormade Air Ride stands out because of the following advantages:
- Air ride suspension which promotes fuel economy and versatility
- Big ramp system as standard equipment
- Dexter axles, a premium brand known for durability
- Dual-speed jacks (12K spring-loaded)
- Gatormade’s Anti-Flex System with 6” torque tube and frame bracing
- Gatormade’s Safety Steps and Grab Handles as standard equipment
- Heavy-Duty 14-inch I-Beam Neck and Frame
- LED light bar, spare tire and fire extinguisher included as standard equipment
- Powder coat finish lasts longer than regular paint
Plus, you’re buying factory direct, so you are avoiding high dealer mark-ups.
In summary, a gooseneck trailer is highly essential for your hot shot trucking business. You must pick a brand that you trust. Let us know what your favorite gooseneck trailer is by commenting down below. Did we miss or forget to review a trailer? Let us know in the comments below.